Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday: Pizza

Friday: Pizza

Reflections from the Backcounter

I just read a blog entry from Penelope Trunk that got me thinking...always a dangerous undertaking. http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2008/04/10/advice-from-the-top-marry-a-stay-at-home-spouse-or-buy-the-equivalent/ Anyway, she decided to hire a house manager to allow her to keep her life together as she struggles to balance the demands on her time from work, home and childrearing. I completely agree. The goal is to find a way to get through life with grace and balance any way that works for you. Unfortunately, this is a polarizing topic and the responses she got from her readers were amazing. The pendulum swung from those who were completely supportive to those who basically wanted to tar and feather her for the choice that she made. This is dangerous ground. Rather than criticizing each other, women need to bond together and support the diversity that makes us all unique. There are those of us who stay at home and those of us who don't. The "why " in why we choose to pursue certain paths is made up of complex equations that are constantly changing as we journey through life. Circumstances, goals, dreams, talents and financial realities are all factors in the equation and no one can judge another woman's choice to work at home or in the workforce because there is never a way to truly understand all of the factors leading up to the outcome. We have to be free to choose our destinies and should support one another in our choices. I work outside the home. I struggle everyday to balance my life and ensure that I do the best job that I can do in every aspect of my life. Some days I succeed,other days I am a miserable failure...I guess that I am just human. In the end, I believe that we would all benefit from tolerance and respect for others who are living their lives to the best of their ability. If I can say one thing to Penelope..I say this..."you go girl" and don't let the critics get to you.
Peace,

Julia

No comments:

ShareThis