Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Portable meals

Tuesday: Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya in the Slow Cooker
See recipe below on Sunday's menu

Reflections from the Backcounter

I have found that it is much more challenging to manage my family now that each child has their own calendar. I remember fondly the days when they were all nested safely in the house and the only thing I had to do was blend them into my calendar. Adding to the hilarity is the need to keep everyone fed and the challenge is to avoid fast food. Tonight is a perfect example. Horse show! I need a portable meal. The crockpot is my salvation. We are trying out the Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya and I plan to haul the slow cooker to the show grounds. There will be no eating until the classes are completed and once the ribbons are pinned, I know that my crew will be ravenous. Of course, I am working today and will be scrambling at the last minute just to leave the clinic in time to pick up everyone and race to the barn. I have found terrific recipes in a cookbook called: Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. ( Beth Hensberger). This has been a great resource for me as the recipes are varied and contain fresh ingredients.
I did the prep last night and assembled the ingredients in the crockpot this morning . It only took a few minutes and I am optimistic that this will make a delicious dinner. The only additional item is french bread and butter.
The roasted vegetable and penne casserole from yesterday was a hit. The kids had two to three helpings each. I didn't even have time to take a photo as they dove in and devoured it. Not to mention the fact that we did not eat until 8:30! Yikes.

Peace,

Julia

No comments:

ShareThis