Monday, April 14, 2008

Eat more Chikn!



Monday: Leftover Chicken




Refections from the Backcounter




Fried chicken is truly one of those comfort foods from childhood that can evoke memories of hot and humid southern Sunday night dinners. The smell of the chicken cooking in the oil compresses time and transports me to the small kitchen in the white frame house in West Virginia where my grandmother made the best fried chicken in the world.

That's where the dreamy reflection ends. This is reality and making this fried chicken was an all day affair that was not even served until 8 pm. A nightmare. Luckily, I have the option of frying outside as we have a gas burner next to our grill I suppose that a contained fat fryer might work in the house but I would hesitate to recommend cooking this in the kitchen. What a mess. I was committed because I had promised my son a world class Sunday dinner, Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and salad. We even threw in a chocolate cake.


The food was fantastic but I am paying today. I am sure that I gained three pounds from this dinner and probably now need orthotics for my shoes as my feet are still killing me. Luckily for me, my mother came over for dinner (she was the big loser here !) and I put her to work frying the chicken. We had quite a few laughs as we attempted to get the chicken brown (not burned) and cooked through the center. A true culinary challenge. I think I broke my meat thermometer in the process as well.


After all that effort...we are going to EAT MORE CHIKN tonight. I can now see why Chik Filet has such a following.
My son just came into the kitchen for breakfast.
I just can't face it. Let him eat cake!
Peace,
Julia

No comments:

ShareThis