Thursday, March 13, 2008

More Kid cooking

Thursday: Refrigerator Review
This is what we call cleaning out the leftovers night. A great opportunity to eat up the bits and pieces left over from the meals during the week. I thought we had a heavy menu this week so a Refrigerator review night was just the remedy.


Reflections from the Backcounter
Some nights you know that you don't have it in you to launch the full on meal preparation. This is when a well stocked pantry and staples in the refrigerator come in handy. I had planned on refrigerator review tonight but the truth is that the refrigerator has been swept clean and there are NO leftovers. (16 y.o. son) . I am not in any postition to make a run to the store so must resort to plan B. My meals in a minute include, BLT's, pasta with brown butter, noodles with parsley, butter and parmesan and of course grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Nothing fancy but hearty and ready in 10 minutes. These dinners lend themselves to encouraging participation from your teens and tweens. If your teenage son can make a grilled cheese sandwich and heat up some tomato soup, he will never starve. We are training them for the real world!
Here is a cute website about cooking with kids. Take a look.
http://www.cookingwithkids.com/

Peace,

Julia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,
A couple weeks ago, I decided it was time for my son to be more involved with meal preparation at home. We both work, but I had been shouldering the burden out of habit, and your blog made me realize that this was not helping either of us. He now cooks on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and uses the blog as his recipe source! Last night I cheerfully devoured salad followed by shrimp and asparagus with penne pasta. It was delicious, but the best part was that I didn't cook or clean up. Progress!

ShareThis