Monday, February 25, 2008

Yogurt

Yogurt is a perfect food to keep in the refrigerator for snacks, desserts, toppings and dressings. In the United States choices abound and the yogurt flavors available remind me of the Bertie bott's Every Flavor Beans from the Harry Potter series. The truth about yogurt is that the unadulterated plain yogurt flavor is the best flavor. The health benefits of yogurt are amazing and it is possible to substitute yogurt for sour cream as a topping on potatoes, tacos, or soups. My children love to put yogurt on their pilaf. I am linking to a site that has great information about the health benefits of yogurt and I would encourage you to take a look.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=124#healthbenefits

As a woman, the most important benefit is the calcium content. The current recommendation for women is to consume 1000-1500 mg of calcium per day. The average American diet contains 500 mg of Calcium. One cup of plain yogurt will provide 400 mg of Calcium. A bargain!

I am easing you into the yogurt idea. Be open minded and get ready...tomorrow we will learn how to make yogurt at home. No yogurt maker needed! I am not kidding ...this is the best kept secret in the kitchen. If I can make yogurt, so can you....

Peace,

Julia

3 comments:

Sheri said...

i found your blog over at Doctor Mama. Your recipes / approach to meals sound great.

Lon said...

Hi Julia- Thanks for stopping by FoodMayhem today, we appreciate your comments! Jessica and I like your blog, it's got a clean fresh look and your writing seems like it is really perfect for working moms. Our initial suggestion is to consider adding some applicable pictures to yours posts. Readers love reading but also enjoy a wonderful image.

Let us know how it works out!

- Jessica & Lon, FoodMayhem

Anonymous said...

Julia - Couldn't agree more about the yogurt. I simply to eat my fresh fruit topped with yogurt instead of whipped cream (and it's healthier).

ShareThis