Monday, January 5, 2009

North Carolina Barbecue


Menu: Pinto Beans
Salad
Bread

Reflections from the Backcounter

Small events can make large memories. I remember one of the few times that I went out to lunch with my father when I was around five years old. We sat at the counter of a traditional diner and ate BBQ sandwiches. The tender and juicy pulled pork was covered with a mayonnaise based coleslaw and served on a bun. This was a sentinel event in my culinary formation! Every so often, I get a hankering for the real deal and it is frequently on New Year's Day. This year we slathered our Pork Butt roast with a dry rub and slowly smoked it on the grill using cedar wood. The wood smoke slowly infused the meat with a delicate flavor and after 6 hours of olfactory torture we took it off the grill and pulled it into tiny shreds. Topped with North Carolina BBQ sauce and coleslaw it was heaven on a bun. Beans, salad and soft drinks rounded out the menu. It was a great kick off to the New Year. As a bonus, I have the left over bones slowly cooking in a pot of pinto beans for tonight's quick weekday meal. A crock pot is a life saver
Peace,
Julia

No comments:

ShareThis