Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Better days ahead






Reflections from the Backcounter


We are all waiting in hopeful anticipation for the coming of change and improvement in our economic conditions. Today begins the new administration and many of us in the US are hopeful that there will be an upswing. The downswing has been painful and has touched everyone that I know.


Survival strategies that many of my friends are using:

House parties instead of restaurants
Gifts of food
Gifts of time and service
Cutting down on drycleaning
Cutting down on recreation
Eating much less meat
Few excursions to fast food restaurants and if we do...the dollar menu at McDonalds is awesome
Turning off all the lights ( I have become my mother)
Library books
Shopping for gas prices ( I have definitely become my grandfather with this one)
Shorter showers
Brown lawns


Some say we are at the bottom...others disagree. I have to look forward and hope for change. Barack may pull it off.



Peace,


Julia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julia,
You could add to your wonderful list my refusal (and yours) to pay full retail price for many things, leading to my fanatical devotion to stores such as TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and of course Goodwill.

ShareThis