Sunday, September 14, 2008

Back to Blogging

Sunday night dinner:
Chicken on the Rotisserie
Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Pilaf
Armenian green salad


Reflections from the Backcounter
It has been a week without blogging and I truly missed it. My daughter and I traveled to Minnesota and enjoyed the respite from the routine of the week. The fall weather in Minnesota had taken a decidedly crisp turn and the fields were still full of corn stalks and the last blooms of the summer flowers. I am sure that after a few cold nights, the leaves will be falling and the Minnesota winter will be quickly carried in on the shoulders of the beautiful fall days.
So much has happened this week. Hurricane Ike has given cause for reflection. I am cannot help but remember the nuns and children who perished in the 1900 hurricane and for whom a memorial is placed near the sea in Galveston. Clearly, the urgent evacuation of the citizens of the gulf coast and the island of Galveston saved lives this time. My prayers are with those who remain displaced and who have suffered losses. Prayers and heartfelt sympathy to the families who lost loved ones on the train in California. Life is so short and precious.
Last night we had the chance to catch up with some dear friends who had us over for a get together. Some women just have a knack for entertaining. My dear friend Stephanie put out a spread worthy of Martha Stewart but with a warm and inviting Greek twist! I should have taken pictures. It is so comforting to be in the company of lifelong friends, especially when one considers the frailty of life so emphasized by the recent disasters.
I am looking forward to a rich and fun week of blogging.
Peace,
Julia
More great creature stories coming up this week...I swear...I think I live on the Discovery channel










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog!

Since you seem like a foodie, I want to share the following with you...I'm promoting a new website that's about to launch in a month--it's called www.behindtheburner.com
It's going to provide tips and tricks about anything and everything in the culinary world. Please check it out! Tell your friends.

Thanks!

Abhay Karnataki said...

eeks
you eat nonveg!? yuk

see the video meet your meat on youtube.

have mercy on animals, ecology of this planet.

ShareThis